Before the Seahawks went on their current 8-0 run to the Super Bowl, the team had one of those “It’s Not About You” moments. Earl Thomas – E.T. – in an expletive-filled physical altercation with teammates, phoned-home with one simple message: “It’s not about you!” (see the article here and watch the video below for the full story)
The phrase “it’s not about you” can be personally transformative but also has critical implications to your personal brand. With the personal consulting movement and hyper career transitions, personal branding has been evolving as an essential aspect of our professional development. Bring an Earl Thomas “it’s not about you” passion to your personal brand with these six personal brand characteristics:
- Be Free: Freely share and be shared.If you don’t have enough information to give away for free, then you don’t have enough information to get paid. Freely give and relax, it will come back to you. Like, Share, Tweet, and comment about other brands. Simple engagement demonstrates an “it’s not about you” attitude, which becomes a part of your credibility. Do you care enough to engage with others without a thought of “what’s in it for me?”
- Watch your Pronouns: Pronouns expose. Listen and watch your pronouns. Delete “I” whenever possible and replace with “we, us, our or you.” True authenticity is often unmasked with pronouns.
- Start with Why: People don’t buy what you do, they buy “Why” you do it. See Simon Sinek’s TED talk.
- Lead with a Story: Stories connect, lead, build credibility and most importantly stories are memorable. Yes, I’m biased, but telling stories through video or in person is extremely powerful.
- Social Networking: Remember social networks are part of our personal brand and everyone can see it 24/7. Don’t be fooled for a minute that they are not watching. If you don’t engage with your social network, this may say something about your brand as well.
- Build a Brand Brief: Every personal brand needs a creative brief. At GoNetYourself every client completes a creative brief with every video. Your personal brand needs the same simple test. Under the honest microscope of “it’s not about you” can you describe your personal brand in 2 sentences or less? Be sure to answer: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How.
- Share with us your “it’s not about you” story below for a chance to win a Starbucks gift card
- Ask us your questions for our Live Stream Video Event with our friend Lisa Hufford to take this dive further into personal branding (see Bio on registration page). Lisa has written a book on personal branding and will be answering your personal branding questions. Do I need a personal website? How do I get a personal website? How do I create content? How do I amp my personal brand?
- Join us live on Jan 29th at 8:30 a.m. PST – Sign up Here