Has life, work or family been moving so fast it seems out of control? Recently I had the opportunity to test drive my first Lamborghini and it was amazingly fast – able to do 90mph in 2nd gear. As you can see in the video I was doing a short track test where one was not allowed in the car without a co-pilot (mentor). I have learned mentors are priceless when life accelerates. If you don’t have a mentor in every significant area of your life, I highly suggest you start seeking them out.
Here are a few things that I have learned regarding mentors/co-pilots:
1. Find Mentors: I could have driven the Lamborghini without a co-pilot, but the twists, turns and speed of life normally comes up quickly, so before you get into the car bring those wiser ones along for the ride. It’s important to make sure you have them with you before life turns too fast. Normally great mentors don’t come looking for you, you have to seek them out and keep chasing them down while respecting their time.
2. Heads up Mentors: As in my Lamborghini test drive, sometimes mentors will shout at you. Learn to heed their advice. Let off the gas or accelerate when directed.
3. Reading Mentors: Reading mentors (authors) are great, but they never talk back to you. I have many authors as mentors but they don’t look across the table to ask the deeper timely questions. Both are necessary, however those sitting in the seat next to you are critical when acceleration happens.
4. Truthful Mentors: When I hit the cone in the video my co-driver told me to slow down, “stop.” Has anyone ever told you to slow down? If not, I wonder if you have anyone telling you the truth?
5. Specialized Mentors: All mentors are not equal. I have had great mentors in my spiritual life who would not have had a clue to my business life and visa-versa. Mentors will come and go depending upon your season of life, but there are a few areas I keep consistent mentors: Spiritual, Business, Leadership, and Family.
I turn 50 in a few days and recently in two different situations I had someone tell me, “Jeff, you have gotten great advice.” I smiled and thought, “Well, fortunately I surrounded myself with some great mentors (co-pilots).” You are never too old to be mentored. I hope I’m always willing to go for a wild ride with those willing to push on the accelerator with me.